Saturday, September 3, 2022

 

Howey, Paul

Nori:

2022/3/19, Lr., 18:20

Dear Joseba,

Thanks for the message, I hope you are having a nice weekend. (...). It is beautiful weather here, though quite windy.

OK regarding your questions for the CCB -

I chose you and your friends in the first case because you are very nice people with an attitude that I like  - I guess that is a Basque trait !

Also my thoughts are if we can get it to work on a Woodcock then it should work well on any other bird. Being nocturnal and living in the forest are two very negative factors for a solar powered transmitter.

As you know I have been working on this for too long, about 10 years.  (...)

This PTT weighs about 9 grams, less than my original 10 gram goal. Having made these I can see ways of making it even lighter. During these 10 years I have had new ideas and smaller components have become available, hence this PTT.

The specifications are similar to the 17g GPS PTT except it is lighter. As we develop the software more it will have more features, it can record all of the GPS fixes it takes for it's lifetime that could be downloaded if the PTT was retrieved. It uses an accelerometer as the activity sensor which could be used to give some interesting data, though I doubt this would work on a Woodcock due to the very low energy budget.

There are some even better Solar Cells that might be available in a year, maybe these would work better in the forest.

So it is an ongoing story which I hope you and your friends will be willing to be part of.

We can talk about an interview, but as you know I prefer to remain anonymous!

Have a good evening, I'm now going to make a nice drink - you have one also.

Take care,

Cheers Paul